Superbowl party perfection! Try these Sloppy "Joses" at your next gathering... feeds a crowd, and not very expensive. Enjoy!
What You'll Need:
- 4 tablespoons oil (your choice), divided
- 1 white onion, diced
- 5 ounces mushrooms, diced
- Salt and pepper, extra spices from the cabinet
- 1/4 cup pimentos, diced
- 14 ounce can red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound chorizo, casings removed
- 1 pound beer brats, casings removed
- 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pound white American cheese, cubed
- 24 slider rolls
1. Set yourself up with two skillets on the stove, and divide the oil between the two. Heat oil over medium heat. In one skillet, add onion and mushrooms. Add salt and pepper and sweat until soft. Add pimentos, kidney beans, and garlic. Simmer until incorporated. In the second pan, brown the chorizo and brats, breaking up the meat as you go. When the meat has browned, combine everything together in one large pot.
2. To the pot, add crushed tomatoes and half the green chiles, and stir through. Season thoroughly with some of your favorite spices: cumin, taco seasoning, onion powder, chili powder, etc. (I also used "Mexican Seasoning" from a wonderful McCormick Spice basket I received as a wedding gift from a WONDERFUL friend!). Cover and let everything simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. In one of the skillets you previously used, heat the rest of the green chiles. Add two cups of milk, and bring to a simmer. Add American cheese, a little at a time, and stir continually to incorporate. Let bubble until slightly thickened. Build your slider: first the meat mixture, and then a few spoonfuls of queso on a slider roll. ENJOY!