Steak Panini with Dijon Mushrooms
Yay for paninis. Seriously... delicious stuff between buttery bread, grilled until it's glued together with melty cheese? It's all very technical ;-) This panini pairs such tangy mushrooms with creamy Vermont white cheddar cheese, with added kale for a touch of green and change of texture. Enjoy!
What You'll Need:
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
- 2 tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 cup frozen kale
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices Italian loaf
- 6 slices white Vermont cheddar
1. Pat steaks dry and season liberally on both sides with steak seasoning, about a tablespoon per piece of steak. In a grill pan (or on the grill outside if you can!), heat oil over high heat. Quickly sear steak in pan for 2 minutes on one side, then flip and sear 1-2 minutes on the other side depending on desired temperature and thickness of steak. Set steak aside and rest for 10 minutes until ready to use.
2. In the same pan, mix mushrooms, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Saute 5 minutes, then deglaze with sherry wine. Add kale to the pan, and continue to cook about 2 minutes, until kale is wilted and warm.
3. Butter each slice of bread. Slice steak on an angle to make thin slices. Build your sandwiches with cheese (one slice on top, one slice on bottom to "glue" the sandwich together), steak, and mushrooms. Grill butter-side-down, on medium heat, for 3-4 minutes per side, until cheese has melted. Slice and serve!