If you've ever had the 7-11 ultimate hangover cure appetizer known as Doritos Loaded, you know how much better cheese gets when you coat it in something other than simple breadcrumb. And if you're someone like me, who never actually thought cheese could get better... this recipe is for you! This mashup pairs creamy, mellow Brie with salty, smoky bacon to bring out the best in both ingredients! I think the triangular shape of the cuts of Brie make this classy, but cutting them in chunks may have been more practical. Regardless, this is a gourmet mozzarella stick at it's best, no matter which way you slice it! (pun intended)
What You'll Need:
- 2 pounds cooked bacon
- 3 cups panko breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried chives
- 2 cups flour
- 8 eggs, scrambled with about 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 (2.2) pound wheel Brie cheese, cut to your desired shape
1. In a processor, pulse the bacon slices until crumbled. In a mixing bowl, mix bacon with panko, onion powder, salt, pepper, and chives. Toss to incorporate everything.
2. Set up a dredging station. In three different bowls, set up flour, eggs, and panko mix. Coat your cheese slices in flour, then egg, flour again, egg again, and finally, pat it well with panko. Lay on a baking sheet. Repeat until all cheese is done. Freeze for 30 minutes.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a pot to 350-degrees. Drop cheese in, working in batches, for just about 3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oil with slotted spoon and rest on paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with a touch of additional salt before they cool. Enjoy!