What You'll Need:
- 6 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1/4 cup + 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 dozen Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 5 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 loaf crusty bread, cubed and toasted
1. In a bowl, mix sliced mushrooms, 1/4 cup oil, balsamic, dried basil, garlic powder, red onion, and salt and pepper. Toss well to coat mushrooms evenly. Spread on well-greased baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until mushrooms are soft.
2. In a different bowl, mix remaining 1 cup olive oil, brown sugar, white balsamic, dijon mustard, shallots, garlic, and basil. Whisk vigorously to emulsify into a DELICIOUS dressing.
3. Toss Roma tomatoes, spinach leaves, roasted portobellos, and dressing until incorporated. Add more salt and pepper to taste if necessary. At the last minute, toss in crusty bread to keep it as crunchy as possible before serving. Garnish with torn fresh basil leaves.