Can't even pretend to be fancy with this one. No gourmet ingredients, certainly no health benefits, but it's the perfect recipe for the last Sunday before going back on the grind. My mom and I just decided to have our own Biggest Loser tournament with each other: whoever loses more weight by March 1 wins $50 from the other one. Goal is 25 pounds. Therefore, why not go out with a BANG the day before starting "Operation: Steph's Wedding" and have some Tater Tot Casserole? Yes, please!
What You'll Need:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons white cooking wine
- (1) 10.75-ounce can cream of mushroom soup, low-sodium
- 1.5 pounds 90/10 ground beef
- Salt, pepper, paprika
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a trio of sharp cheddar, Swiss, and mild cheddar)
- 2 pound bag frozen tater tots
1. In a skillet, heat oil and saute carrots and garlic until softened. Add peas, corn, white wine and soup, and stir to incorporate. Transfer to mixing bowl. In the same skillet, season and brown ground beef until cooked through. Add to mixing bowl of ingredients and mix well.
2. Pour ground beef and vegetable mixture into a 9"x13" casserole dish. Sporadically drop cubes of cream cheese onto mixture, and cover with shredded cheeses. Not in any particular style - or with all the style in the world! - completely cover the top with tater tots. (Being the crazy that I am, I was THRILLED because I had EXACTLY enough tater tots to cover the entire top of the casserole, after dropping one on the floor.) Sprinkle with paprika.
3. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes on 400-degrees. Remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until tater tots are golden brown on top. Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before cutting into. ENJOY yourself while you feel your arteries slowly seizing, and just remember - the grind starts tomorrow ;-)