Eggs in Purgatory
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup mushrooms, sliced (I used portobellos!)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (recipe here)
- 4 large eggs
- Crumbled soft cheese, optional
1. Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet and add garlic to the pan. Sauté for about 2 minutes, careful not to burn. Add red pepper flakes and mushrooms to the pan, and cook until soft. Add salt and pepper. Add Kalamata olives and spinach leaves. Cook until spinach has wilted.
2. Add tomato sauce to the pan and heat through, stirring vegetables together into the sauce. Using the back of a spoon, make small "craters" in the sauce and carefully crack each egg into each crater.
3. Set oven to broil and put the whole pan in. Cook for about 7 minutes until egg whites are set but yolks are still soft. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. I suggest goat cheese or Feta cheese that pairs well with the spinach, but you can also leave that out! Sprinkle with torn basil leaves, scallions, or assorted fresh herbs. Yum!