In two days, the kids at Garrison will be graduating, which means a lot less craze at school, and a lot more summer fun. And what's a better way to kick-start the summer than with a light, refreshing glass of Sangria? How about a cool glass of Sangria-shaved ice? Yes, yes, and more yes! This granita is made with four different kinds of fresh berries, fresh-squeezed orange juice, a touch of sugar, and your favorite vodka. I used plain, but feel free to use blueberry, raspberry, cherry, etc. (Pinnacle Vodka now has up to 40 flavors you can choose from, too, which makes for fun experimenting!) Think of this tasty treat as a deconstructed grown-up Popsicle!
What You'll Need:
- 1lb. berry medley (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- 1 large orange: zest of whole, juice of half
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2/3 cup red wine
- In a blender, mix the first five ingredients, while streaming in the red wine, until smooth.
- Transfer to a 9"x13" pyrex dish and put in the freezer
- After 4 hours, remove from freezer and scrape with a fork until it is shaved ice
- Transfer back to the freezer for another 2 hours, then remove and scrap again
- Repeat the process until frozen firmly
- Scoop into a martini glass, wine glass, etc. Garnish with fruit slice