Gluten-free and meat-free, this dish doesn't need either ingredient to make it shine. Accompanied by dry white wine, cheddar cheese, and a really good quality Parmigiano Reggiano, this semi-healthy recipe can act as an entree, side dish, or even a quick snack! Read on to find out how to copy:
What You'll Need:
- 1 crown broccoli, stems cut
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and cracked pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. good quality Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Start by roasting the broccoli. Toss broccoli florets, 2 tbsp. olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, and 1 tbsp. Parmigiano. Roast in a 425-degree oven for 20 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer until the quinoa becomes fluffy and water has cooked out. While the quinoa is cooking, in a large skillet, heat the rest of the olive oil and add garlic, bell pepper and onion. Season to taste and cook until tender and onions are translucent. Add tomatoes (I like to add them later so they stay as close to form as possible and they don't become mushy), roasted broccoli from the oven, and white wine. Simmer until wine reduces.
3. Finally, add the cooked quinoa to the pan. Turn off the heat and add 1 cup of cheddar cheese and the rest of the Parmigiano. Fold cheese through the quinoa, not allowing it to set, or it will clump. Transfer quinoa to a baking dish. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheddar cheese and transfer to the oven. Cook simply until cheese melts and bubbles. Enjoy!