December's "Educational Seasoning" for work was Olives From Around The World. Since December was a very busy month, we decided to push the seasoning to January! It is my new goal for work to create at least one dish on my own (without having the kitchen staff do it) to have at the seasoning. This time, when creating the menu, I came up with tapenade (since it's my favorite, Kerry's favorite, Andrea's favorite, etc.) and a Greek chicken salad with Kalamata olives. Instead of just one, I made both of these items, which came out great! The Garrison community really seemed to like them. I also marinated olives in a bit of oil, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes for display purposes. Here is a look at SAGE's Educational Seasoning for Garrison Forest:
And here's the chicken salad recipe! (This chicken salad recipe was for work, therefore I had to make a lot. I would say this recipe will feed about 40 people, but scale it back by dividing in half if need be!)
What You'll Need:
- 10 lb. chicken breast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 4 cucumbers, diced and seeded
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. dill
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- Salt and pepper
1. Season your chicken breast liberally with oil and the Italian seasoning. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until the juices run clear. Remove the chicken when finished, and let rest for 10 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
2. Dice the chicken in small cubes and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the peppers, Feta cheese, Kalamata olives, cucumbers, and onions. Mix thoroughly.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the sour cream, buttermilk, dill, garlic powder, celery salt, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until smooth. Pour this mixture over the chicken and incorporate, making sure everything is coated well. Serve with grilled pita, on a roll, or simply by itself. Enjoy!