Side Dish Challenge: Butternut Squash Soup with Cauliflower Puree
What You'll Need:
- Salt and pepper
- 2 medium butternut squash, halved lengthwise
- 5 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 white onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. granulated ginger
- 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp. celery salt
- 1 tbsp. sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Salt and pepper your squash, and place cut-side down on a baking sheet. Bake in a 375-degree oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until squash is very soft and pulls away from the skin easily. Remove skin and roughly chop in large chunks.
2. Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a large stock pot and sweat onions until soft. Drop in squash chunks and cover with broth. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
3. Add the ginger, sage leaves, cumin, nutmeg, milk, and vinegar. Blend again until all ingredients are incorporated well.
4. Simmer on low while you make the cauliflower puree:
5. Boil cauliflower until very soft. Then, in a blender, mix soft cauliflower, celery salt, salt, pepper, sour cream, and 3 tbsp. softened butter. Stream in cream until completely pureed. Swirl into soup and enjoy!