What You'll Need:
- 1 long loaf ciabatta bread
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 3/4 lb. broccoli rabe, stems trimmed
- 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- Salt, pepper, paprika
- 4 slices thick-sliced provolone cheese
1. Start by slicing your ciabatta loaf lengthwise. Spread each half with the butter, and sprinkle with parsley and garlic powder. Bake cut-side up in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes.
2. In a large skillet, saute the garlic and olive oil and drop in the broccoli rabe. Saute on medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes, until broccoli rabe is wilted completely and it is the to consistency you like. I like it very soft, some people like it with a bite. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Liberally season your chicken cutlets with salt, pepper, and paprika. Transfer to the same hot pan you used to cook the broccoli rabe, and sear your chicken until cooked through.
4. Remove your bread from the oven and begin to build. Lay your sliced provolone on the bottom, followed by the sauteed broccoli rabe, and then chicken. Top with the "lid" of the ciabatta, and wrap in foil. Return to oven for 10 minutes, until cheese has melted and all the flavors meld together. Remove from oven, slice (while still in foil, making it easier to keep the sandwich held together), and enjoy!
By the way, that red saucy stuff you see on the bottom... that's a sun-dried tomato pesto that you'll see in the next sandwich recipe! Keep reading :-)