" Would you say, your pesto is the best-o? "

It would cut me real deep if at least 75% of my readers didn't know where I cooked up the title of this post.  Yea, pun intended.  For the other (hopefully, only) 25%, check out Friends: Season 8, Episode 5, The One with Rachel's Date.

Phoebe: Oh you…you made pesto?
Tim: Yes I did.
Phoebe: Would you say your pesto is the best-o?
Tim: I…I-I don’t know, but I would say it’s pretty good-o. (Phoebe laughs way too hard.)
Monica: All right, I still need a calamari and a Caesar salad.
Tim: I like your necklace.
Monica: (Talking to herself) Coming right up Monica. I have to do everything you say, otherwise the system breaks down. I know that, then why are we having this conversation?
Phoebe: I made it myself.
Tim: You are so talented.
Phoebe: Well, it’s no pesto.

Laughter ensues.  Anywho -- check out my recipe below for a pretty great spin on a classic pesto.  Pine nuts are freakishly expensive, and using only basil is sometimes too strong of a flavor.  Read on to find out what I did to make my pesto, the best-o!


Tortellini Skewers with Pesto Dipping Sauce

What You'll Need:
1 1/2 cups, fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup, fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup, chopped walnuts
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. minced garlic
3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (you're going to want the really good kind for this)
Salt and Cracked Pepper

This is pretty simple!  Using a food processor, add the first five ingredients and pulse until they are coarsely chopped.  Then, stream in your olive oil while processing, until all ingredients are fully incorporated and it is smooth to your liking (I like mine as smooth as I can get it, some people like a bit more texture). Add the salt and pepper to taste, and viola!

I cooked off one pound of pasta, and skewered four large tortellini per skewer, and plated them next to a large bowl of this pesto.  But, you can serve your pesto anyway you see fit - brush on chicken while it's on the grill, toss over linguini with some sun-dried tomatoes and Kalamata olives (mmm, that one sounds good), spread on a grilled cheese with provolone and prosciutto, the possibilities are endless.

Comment below and tell me some of your great pesto recipes!




*picture courtesy of "Savory Catering"

 

Comments

Popular Posts