This recipe should really just be called "The 2 Most Delicious Carbs Come Together". Pasta and bread? Yes, please. Add mozzarella cheese? Mmm hmm! Wrap it all up and sprinkle with rosemary and Parm? Read on! I saw a version of this recipe on Pinterest, and I decided to try it. I would like to give credit where credit is due, to Stephanie, the author of the "Plain Chicken" Blog. We used different ingredients, and mine didn't turn out as beautifully braided as hers, but it was still tasty!
What You'll Need:
- 6-oz. long pasta - spaghetti, linguini, etc.
- 8-oz. tomato sauce - homemade is obviously best, meat sauce would be great!
- 1 can, Pilsbury pizza dough
- 8-oz. cubed mozzarella cheese
- 4-oz. your choice of ingredients (optional) - I used mini pepperoni, but you could use bacon, sausage, mushrooms, olives, or all of the above!
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1. Start by cooking your pasta in boiling salted water until al dente.
2. Roll out your pizza dough on a well-greased baking sheet. Set aside. Meanwhile, add the tomato sauce and your ingredients to the pasta. Mix well.
3. Lay out your pasta on the pizza dough in a log-form and top with the cubed mozzarella cheese. Cut 2-inch slits in the dough horizontally, and then fold the dough, alternating sides, like a braid. Tuck ends to ensure everything stays in while in the oven.
4. Beat the egg together with a few tablespoons of water. With a cooking brush, brush all around the dough with the egg wash, and sprinkle generously with the rosemary and parmesan.
5. Cook in a 375-degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until your pizza dough is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Wait about 5-10 minutes and then slice with a pizza cutter. Enjoy!
Things that would be great to try inside!
Pesto instead of Tomato Sauce
Roasted Eggplant and Olives
Fresh Vegetables with Alfredo Sauce
Tomato Sauce with Sausage and Green Peppers
Broccoli and Cheese with Ziti Noodles instead of Spaghetti
Leave your comments on what else you think would make a great alternative!